Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Consular Report of Birth Abroad

If you are a U.S. citizen and the parent of a child born out of the United States, you will need to document your child’s U.S. citizenship with a Consular Report of Birth Abroad. This document is used in the United States like a certified copy of a birth certificate, and it is acceptable evidence of citizenship for obtaining a passport and entering school. Although the application forms and final documents are the same everywhere, our embassies and consulates have different procedures to get them. If you haven’t done so already, check your local post website to learn the local rules. Our Embassies and Consulates will need you to make an appointment for this service.

No matter where you apply, some things are the same in every country outside the United States. Here is what’s standard everywhere:

Application Forms

You will use the same application form DS-2029 (PDF 53KB) no matter where you apply for the "Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA). Supporting Documents.

You will need all of the following:

  1. The child's foreign birth certificate.
  2. Proof of citizenship of the U.S. citizen parent(s). Your current passport is the preferred form of proof. Your U.S. birth certificate or naturalization certificate is also acceptable.
  3. Proof of the relationship between the U.S. citizen parent(s) and the child. Your child's birth certificate with both parents' names on it is the best form of proof.
  4. If you are married, we need to see proof. If you have prior marriages, we need to see proof of how those marriages ended.
  5. A statement from either U.S. citizen parent and evidence that she/he liven in the U.S. long enough to transmit citizenship to her/his child. Tha statement you give is called an Affidavit of Parentage, Physical Presence, and Support form DS-5507 (PDF133KB).

How long is long enough? That will depend on whether the parents are married, and whether one or both is a U.S. citizen. Learn more about transmitting citizenship.

How you prove you were physically present will depend a lot on your situation. There is no one-size-fits-all answer. Some examples of acceptable evidence include school transcripts, old passports, income tax returns, utility bills in the name of the parent, employment records, military records, and or medical records. The more you can provide, the easier it will be for the consular officer to approve the CRBA.


We charge fees for this service. The current fee is $100.

Schedule an Appointment

To schedule an appointment at Nogales U.S. Consulate call 011 52 (631) 311-8150

For other questions please contact American Citizen Services section or e-mail your questions to

Payment Methods

Payment methods accepted by Nogales U.S. Consulate are:

Cash (U.S. Dollars and Mexican Pesos)
Credit Card (American Express, Discover, MasterCard and Visa)
Travelers Checks

NOTE:  Even though both parents may be U.S. citizens, a child born in Mexico is also considered a Mexican citizen through birth in Mexico and may be required to enter and leave Mexico with a Mexican passport. You may obtain information regarding Mexican passport issuance by calling the Secretariat of Foreign Relations in Hermosillo at (662) 212 6463. Or you may write:

Secretaría De Relaciones Exteriores
Centro de Gobierno
Edificio Hermosillo
Planta Baja Paseo del Canal y Comonfort
Hermosillo, Sonora, México


Adobe Reader

  • Adobe
    Download Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.